Sweet and Savory Empanadas
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 3 to 3 1/2 pounds boneless pork shoulder, trimmed and cut into 3-inch pieces
- 1 (14- to 15-ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 medium onion, coarsely chopped
- 3 cloves garlic
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 2 1/2 tablespoons adobo seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste*
Heat oil in 6- or 8-quart Presto® Pressure Cooker over medium heat. Brown pork pieces on two sides. Combine tomatoes, water, onion, garlic, vinegar, Worcestershire, brown sugar, adobo seasoning, salt, and pepper in blender; puree until smooth. Add to pressure cooker. Close cover securely. Place pressure regulator on vent pipe. Cook 45 minutes at 15 pounds pressure. Let pressure drop of its own accord. Remove pork to cutting board and using two forks, shred meat. Remove and discard any fat or connective tissue.
Stir tomato paste into sauce. Bring to a boil over medium heat. Cook and stir until desired thickness. Return pork to pressure cooker; stir until pork is evenly coated with sauce.
Watch Chef Kevin Belton prepare Sweet and Savory Empanadas in this video.
The Pulled Pork can be made 1 to 2 days in advance. This recipe makes a larger batch than what is needed for the empanadas. Save out about 2 cups of pulled pork for the empanadas and serve the remainder with sandwiches. Two meals in one!
*Reference your deep fryer instruction folder for amount of oil needed.
You will need 2 tablespoons of tomato paste for the pulled pork and 1/2 cup for the empanada filling. Buy a 6-ounce can of tomato paste.