Southwest Chicken Soup
- 1 cup dry pinto beans*
- 1 pound boneless, skinless chicken breast, cut into 3/4-inch pieces
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 small red pepper, cut into 3/4-inch pieces
- 1 jalapeño pepper, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 (15 to 16 ounce) can stewed tomatoes
- 1 cup salsa, desired level of spiciness
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
- 1 cup frozen whole kernel corn, thawed
- Fresh cilantro (optional)
In a large saucepan combine beans and enough water to cover. Bring to boil; reduce heat and simmer 2 minutes. Remove from heat. Cover and let stand 1 hour. Drain and rinse beans.
In a Presto® 6- or 8-quart Pressure Cooker combine beans, chicken, onion, peppers, garlic, tomatoes, salsa, broth, vegetable oil, chili powder, cumin and salt. Close cover securely. Place pressure regulator on vent pipe. COOK 6 MINUTES at 15 pounds of pressure. Let pressure drop of its own accord.
Stir in corn and cook until heated through. Garnish with cilantro.
*In a hurry? Substitute 1 (15-ounce) can pinto beans, drained and rinsed, and add with frozen whole kernel corn at end of cooking time.