Curried Chicken Squares
- 18 slices soft white bread
- 3 tablespoons soft bread crumbs
- 1 (5-ounce) can chunk white chicken or 3/4 cup minced cooked chicken
- 1/4 cup roasted shelled Virginia type peanuts
- 1/4 cup minced green onion
- 1/8 teaspoon 5-spice powder or Allspice
- 1 teaspoon curry powder
- 1/4 teaspoon sugar
- Dash pepper
- 1 teaspoon soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons chopped parsley
- 1 egg yolk, slightly beaten
Remove crusts from bread; cover with a damp towel or plastic wrap to keep soft. Make crumbs from crusts by putting a few at a time into a blender. Combine 3 tablespoons bread crumbs with chicken, peanuts, green onion, 5-spice powder, curry powder, sugar, pepper, soy sauce, and parsley; mix well. Roll bread slices very thin with a rolling pin. Cut each square in half, place a teaspoon of chicken mixture on each piece. Brush edges of bread with egg yolk; fold in half to form a square. Pinch to seal, trimming if necessary. Keep squares covered to prevent drying. In Presto® electric deep fryer, fry 3 or 4 at a time, turning once until desired browness is reached (about 2 minutes). Remove from oil and drain on absorbent paper. Repeat until all squares are cooked. May be served with mustard sauce.
Click here for more information on our line of quality Presto® Deep Fryers.
May be made ahead of time and refrigerated or frozen.