- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 2 teaspoons anise seeds, pulverized or ground in a spice grinder
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup milk
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- Vegetable oil for frying*
- Spiced Sugar (see recipe below)
Sift together flour, baking powder, salt, sugar, and ground anise in a medium bowl. Whisk egg, milk, and butter in another bowl. Stir into flour mixture until combined. Turn dough onto lightly floured surface and gently knead until smooth and elastic. Shape dough into balls about 1 1/2 inches in diameter. Cover and let rest 15 to 30 minutes. (Dough may be refrigerated overnight, if necessary.)
Prepare Spiced Sugar.
Preheat oil in Presto® Electric Deep Fryer. If using an adjustable thermostat deep fryer, set at 375°. Roll each ball of dough into a thin disk, about 4 to 5 inches wide. Fry one disk at a time, until golden, about 2 minutes, turning frequently. Drain on paper towels. Sprinkle Buñuelos with Spiced Sugar while still warm and serve.
*Reference your deep fryer instruction folder for amount of oil needed.
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon anise seed, pulverized
- 2 teaspoons ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
Mix sugar, anise, coriander, cinnamon, and cloves in a small bowl.
Click here for more information on our line of quality Presto® Deep Fryers.