- 2 tablespoons oil
- 3 boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into cubes
- 1 pound andouille sausage links, sliced
- 2 stalks celery, thinly sliced
- 2 cups frozen sliced okra, thawed
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 small green pepper, finely chopped
- 1 small red pepper, finely chopped
- 2 (10-ounce) cans diced tomatoes with green chilies
- 1 (14.5-ounce) can fire roasted diced tomatoes, drained
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon Cajun seasoning
- 2 teaspoons Old Bay seasoning
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 pound raw shrimp (31-40 count), peeled and deveined
- 3 cups cooked long grain rice
Lightly coat the Nomad® 6-quart cooking pot with oil. Add chicken, sausage, celery, okra, onion, and peppers. Stir to combine. Mix tomatoes, broth, tomato paste, Cajun seasoning, Old Bay seasoning, oregano, cayenne, garlic salt, and thyme in a medium bowl. Pour into cooking pot and stir until well blended. Close the cover. Cook on HIGH 6 1/2 hours.
Reduce heat to LOW. Add shrimp and rice, stirring well to submerge shrimp under broth. Cover and cook for 25 to 30 minutes until shrimp is pink and opaque in the center.
Variation: Adding the rice to the slow cooker is optional. Jambalaya can also be served over rice.
Note: This recipe can be increased by 1 1/2 times for use in the Nomad® 8-quart slow cooker.